ACTION ALERT From Livable California!
Help Stop SB 330 & SB 592, Scott Wiener’s New Attack on Your Neighborhood.
Twitter & Facebook Campaign to Stop SB330 & SB590
We admire your involvement. Please join us today, posting on FB and/or Twitter, urging 38 state senators to kill Wiener & Skinner’s awful bills
Here’s how to help to stop 2 disaster bills all but ignored by the media:
1) Choose 2 or 3 of our suggested FB posts / tweets from below.
2) Alert senators to your message by adding their handle at the end of your FB post or your Tweet. (See senators’ handles below.)
3) On FB, you can insert ALL 38 senators’ handles in your chosen FB! Or get creative, posting different messages with different senators’ handles!
4) If you have a Twitter account, post the message(s) you chose and include as many senators’ handles as will fit (Twitter has a limit of 280 characters including spaces. So you can fit 3-5 senators’ handles).
5) If you want to alert all 38 senators on Twitter, pick 7 or 8 tweets below, and include different batches of senators’ handles in tweets you send.
Select from these FB and Twitter messages to Stop SB 592
SB 592 is a terrible plan to let developers overrun communities with pricey buildings, gentrifying low-income & starter-home areas we must protect. Wiener’s bill doesn’t require ONE unit of affordable housing. Pls Oppose!
Please oppose SB 592 by Wiener: If a city rejects a luxury apartment too big for a site, developers can sue, arguing that the city hurt their profits! SB 592 requires NO affordable units. It’s a system for litigious developers. Pls stop it!
SB 592 allows big dorm-style luxury developments to overrun neighborhoods, destroying vulnerable, & diverse communities. Please oppose Wiener’s spot-zoning on steroids!
SF City planners warn that under Wiener’s SB 592, a developer can demolish a 1,200 sq-ft home to build a mansion as long as it contains a luxury mini-unit. This is not housing we need! Pls oppose!
In Wiener’s new bad bill, SB 592, luxury developers can ignore zoning codes in California. Apartments can be squeezed on parcels, ignoring setbacks, height or planning rules. Pls Oppose!
Wiener is wrong, please don’t join him! Bills that silence diverse neighborhoods SHOULDN’T rush thru via gut-and-amend. SB 592 does not require ONE affordable unit. The fine print is key. Pls oppose!
Select from these FB and Twitter Messages to Stop SB 330.
Stop Sen. Nancy Skinner’s SB 330, which strips land-use power from cities, giving it to for-profit developers. It kills key public hearings that result in affordable units & green space. Pls oppose!
SB 330 cripples public testimony on luxury projects, slashing City & neighborhood hearings. In LA it silences Neighborhood Councils who fight hard for affordable housing! Pls oppose!
SB 330 bans all plans that decrease luxury housing density, unless a city “upzones” another area. So downzoning for parks will punish another crowded area – by adding density there. Pls oppose!
SB 330 lets developers sue cities for $50,000 per unit if a luxury project is denied. It lets ANYONE claiming to want to live in the non-existent building to sue taxpayers. This is SO wrong. Pls oppose!
Select FB & Twitter Messages to Stop BOTH SB 330 & SB 592
Oppose SB 330 & SB 592, fed by the lie that we’re short 3.5M housing units. The falsified 3.5M was debunked by think tanks like Embarcadero Institute & no less than California’s Department of Housing. Pls oppose!
Stop SB 592 & SB 330! Sacramento let these bad bills thru, panicking over the “3.5 million housing unit shortage” lie. The 3.5M lie is from McKinsey & Co. CA officials say we need 1.1M! That’s SO doable! Stop 592 & 330!
1000s of us visited or wrote legislators to kill Wiener’s SB 592 & Skinner’s SB 330, twin bills greased by Silicon Valley. The fine print is key: neither bill requires ONE affordable unit! Pls Oppose!
Choose handles below for state senators you want to alert:
@BenAllenCA @SenBobArchuleta @sentoniatkins @senatorpatbates @Jimbealljr @SenatorBorgeas @SteveBradford @CaballeroAnna @L2ChangCA @BillDoddCA @SenMariaEDurazo @senatorgalgiani @Steve_Glazer @shannongrove @senatehertzberg
@SenBenHueso @Senator_Hurtado @SenHannahBeth @SenBrianJones @senatorleyva @ilike_mike @HollyJMitchell @billmonning @SenatorMoorlach @MikeMorrellGOP @CASenatorJim @DrPanMD @portantino @GeneralRoth @SenSusanRubio @Skinner4Senate @HenrySternCA @SenJeffStone @SenatorUmberg @bobwieckowskica @scott_wiener @ScottWilkCA @CASenateDems
AN EARLIER ACTION!
Use Livable California’s easy-email “Tell Your Legislator” button to urge legislators to kill state Sen. Scott Wiener’s SB 50. Pubic opposition sidelined SB 50 and Wiener is furious!
Now he is twisting arms in Sacramento to revive SB 50. We expect SB 50 to roar back, and Livable California plans to stop it dead. We’ll let you know when!
But right now, we ask your help in killing two bills: Wiener’s outrageous sneak attempt to pave over neighborhoods, SB 592, and Nancy Skinner’s shocking bill, SB 330, to silence we, the public.
When you hit ‘send’ on your Oppose Letter below, it will auto-sign your name. It takes 1 minute! And yes, add your own words! Click and send now!
STOP SB 592 – To Send an Oppose SB 592 Email, Click Here
STOP SB 330 – To Send an Oppose SB 330 Email, Click Here
Wiener, stung by his SB 50 defeat, has now created a “gut and amend” bill called SB 592. He “gutted” a cosmetology bill and filled it with reckless ideas and luxury developer rewards. Enough!
The fatally flawed SB 592 must be killed in August because:
- If a city rejects a luxury housing project as too big or too tall, developers can argue that city rules aren’t “economically viable” for them. Incredible!
- Exports Silicon Valley’s tragedy to everyone: huge luxury dorm projects allowed statewide, destroying neighborhoods that investors want to gentrify with pricey micro-units.
- Lets developers demolish 1,200-sq-ft homes to build 5,000-sq-ft mansions with 400-sq-ft luxury mini-units. No affordable units required.
The fatally flawed SB 330 must be killed in August because:
- Nancy Skinner’s luxury housing bill has NO required affordable housing. Zero.
- SB 330 silences the public, allowing just 5 hearings per project, forcing cities to hoard all 5 hearings for their topmost boards, the Planning Commission and City Council. Goodbye to community councils and local review boards.
- Allows developers to sue cities for $10,000 to $50,000 per “denied unit” if a city rejects a bad project. Skinner says it “streamlines” housing approvals. No. It will jam up the state courts with housing lawsuits and delays.
- Trashes local planning, encouraging spot-zoning in which Sacramento hands power to luxury housing developers to decide what, and where, to build.
Please stay in this fight, folks. We will not overburden you with requests.
Please forward this to your own List of Concerned Friends. Please contribute to defray our costs of fighting Wiener’s $700,000 windfall contributions from developers: Click Here to Contribute.
Rick Hal, President, Livable California
Support the voice of the public: gf.me/u/uq2agx